As this year comes to a close, we’re taking a look back at some of the most LOL-worthy and inspiring viral moments of 2014.
1. #AlexFromTarget. It all started when one girl posted a photo of a cashier from her local Target, because he was hot (fair enough). From there, the tweet went viral (because he was hot), spawning the hashtag #AlexFromTarget, and inspiring people across the country to nominate other hot guys from their local stores. Alex became so Internet famous that he even appeared on the Ellen Show!
— Luke Siperly ♛ (@LukeSiperly) November 3, 2014
2. When Kendall Jenner flubbed her lines at the Billboard Music Awards. Kendall was supposed to introduce 5 Seconds Of Summer at this year’s BMAs, but she accidentally confused them with One Direction, and the hilarious video quickly went viral. We get it, Kendall. 1D is always on our minds, too!
3. When 11-year-old Taylor Hatala blew everyone away with her badass dance routines.The 11-year-old hip hop dancer made our jaws drop with her kickass “All About That Bass” dance routine. From there, she went on to release more viral dance vids, including a dance-off with her 8-year-old sister to “Shake It Off”at a nail salon.
4. When celebrities supported a good cause by taking the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Literally every celeb you can think of donated money and raised awareness by pouring a bucket of ice water over their heads.
5. When Emma Watson launched the #HeForShe campaign. No one will ever forget Emma’s incredible speech about gender equality at the United Nations Summit, launching an entire movement called the #HeForShe campaign. Tons of celebs tweeted their support.
— Harry Styles. (@Harry_Styles) September 25, 2014
6. When Ariana Grande got smacked in the faceby an Angel’s wings at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. Ari’s reaction was priceless, inspiring hilarious memes of the popstar basically cringing at everything. Ariana, who was a really good sport about the whole thing, even tweeted that it actually happened twice—once during rehearsal and again during the show!
7. When we finally learned why Starbucks always spells your name wrong. After 22 Words uncovered a video of Sbux baristas revealing that they love to mess with us by purposely misspelling our names, it all made sense. We mean, how is it even possible to misspell names like Chris or Ashley? Watch the video here.
8. When Miley Cyrus at our her emotional VMAs acceptance speech. Miley took us all by surprise when she had a young homeless man accept the award on her behalf, and deliver a speech about homeless youth in the United States. It was moving and a total tearjerker to say the least. Relive Miley’s VMAs speech here.
9. When a teen stood up to body-shaming bullies in the best way possible. When some of her classmates spray-painted a concrete wall with the words “Carleigh’s ass” on it in an attempt to make fun of her, New Jersey teen Carleigh O’Connell didn’t let it upset her. Instead, she took a photo in front of it while showing off her butt in a bikini. Her mom shared the photo on Facebook with a heartfelt message, saying she was proud that her daughter could shrug off haters!
10. When Selena Gomez released her heart-wrenching The Heart Wants What It Wants video about Justin Bieber. The Jelena saga was at its peak this year, with the breaking up and making up, posting cryptic Instagrams, and Selena releasing her most emotional song and video yet. After admitting “The Heart Wants What It Wants” was about Justin, she gave the most teary-eyed debut performance of the song at the American Music Awards. Bestie Taylor Swift got emotional, too, and even Lorde pushed their beef aside to show support!
11. When 23-year-old student Becky Leigh Hopper tweeted about the absurdly skinny Topshop mannequin in London. Her hashtag #poorbodyimage started the ultimate Twitter conversation about body image and body shaming. What made her Tweet even better is what she posted after—a photo of a delicious dessert with the caption, “Celebrating not looking like a Topshop mannequin.” #YASS.
— Becky Hopper (@BeckyLHopper) October 27, 2014
What were some of your favorite moments of 2014? Are there any viral moments missing from our list you’d add? Comment below!