Ten Chinese and 17 local hostages have been released in
Cameroon, where they were kidnapped earlier this year in
raids blamed on the Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram,
Cameroon’s president said Saturday.
“The 27 hostages abducted on May 16 in Waza and July 27 in
Kolofata were released to the Cameroonian authorities this
night,” President Paul Biya said in a statement on national
The 10 Chinese citizens and other hostages, who also
included the wife of Cameroon’s deputy prime minister,
were all “safe and sound,” he said.
In June, authorities said that six people had been arrested
over the kidnappings of the Chinese. They were seized in
May from a construction camp in Waza near the border with
Nigeria in an attack that left one Cameroonian soldier dead.
The July kidnappings were carried out during two
simultaneous assaults, also blamed on Boko Haram, in
which at least 15 people died.
Cameroon shares a border of more than 2,000 kilometres
(1,200 miles) with Nigeria, where Boko Haram has been
waging a bloody insurgency since 2009. The group did not
claim responsibility for the kidnappings, but has been
involved in other abductions, including of 200 schoolgirls in
a case that sparked international outrage.