Kwakwanso blasts Jonathan for seized $15m

Governor Rabiu Kwakwanso

Governor Rabiu Kwakwanso

Governor Rabiu Musa
Kwakwanso of Kano
State has accused
President Goodluck
Jonathan-led Federal
Government of not
being sincere over its
defence of the seized $9.3m and another $5.7m by the South
African government.
He said the seized money by the South African government
under the guise of procuring arms and ammunition to fight
insurgency, contravened established rules and guidelines.
The governor said it was a clear violation of the due process
in the procurement.
Kwakwanso spoke in Ado-Ekiti on Thursday after the public
presentation of two laws-Ekiti Magistrate Court Law 2014
and Administration of Criminal Justice 2014-by his
counterpart from Lagos, Raji Fashola (SAN).
Fashola, who described laws and constitutionality as the
bedrock of any nation, said the application of the Cremation
and Public Health Laws gave the state a breakthrough in its
fight against the Ebola Virus Disease that broke out in the
country recently.
Kwakwanso, who had earlier inaugurated the Ire Burnt Brick
Industry revamped by Governor Kayode Fayemi, said
Nigerians must rise up to protect judiciary for the
sustenance of the country’s democracy.
The governor said, “As a former Minister of Defence, I am
very conversant with the way and manner, and the due
process that is required to procure any arms, ammunition
or equipment, there are rules and guidelines. Arms and
ammunition are not rice and beans that you can just go to
the market and purchase.
“Many of us were concerned when the information filtered
in. In fact, we didn’t believe it initially, but along the line,
based on the defence of what happened, we realized that it
was a bitter truth that such a thing happened: that money of
that magnitude in an aircraft flown to another nation, I think
so many things have gone wrong. I think it is high time for
the Federal Government to sit up to its responsibilities to
ensure that things are being done correctly.
“Yes, we need arms and ammunition; yes, we need security
in this country, but even under that circumstance, there are
rules and guidelines that must be respected.
“While we are trying to tackle insurgency, we must follow the
due process. Even in the operation there are rules of
engagement; they are very important to protect the lives and
properties of innocent people.”
Kwakwanso wondered why it took the Federal Government
three weeks to accept that over 200 schoolgirls were
abducted by Boko Haram in Chibok.
He said so many things were wrong under the
administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.
“That is why we are confident that by 2015 the APC will take
over because all that we have seen in insecurity,
unemployment, education…There are so many schools
closed down in the North. Our children cannot go to school
because some are being stolen,” he lamented.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s