Army extends travel ban on embattled Borno, Yobe

Army in Borno

Army in Borno

Nigerian army extended by 24 hours, yesterday a travel ban
imposed on Borno, the restive northeastern state worst hit
by Boko Haram attacks.
Both Borno and neighbouring Yobe state had on Friday
imposed a travel ban through the Muslim Eid holiday
weekend to Monday to guard against Boko Haram attacks.
But now the “embargo on all vehicular movement in 7
Division area of responsibility has been extended till 7.00am
(0600 GMT) on Tuesday, 7th October, 2014,” said the army
statement, without giving further details.
The army’s 7 Division covers Borno and its surroundings.
When it announced the initial weekend travel ban, the
military had said a security report indicated that Boko
Haram militants have made plans to launch “multiple bomb
explosions” in Maiduguri and other major towns in the state
during the Muslim festival.
They planned to use motor vehicles, tri-cycles, among
others, and their main targets include Muslim praying
grounds, markets and other public places, the army said.
The two states and Adamawa have been under a state of
emergency since May last year because of the Boko Haram
conflict and the Islamists have typically carried out strikes
on Muslim holidays.
The militants are thought to be in control of more than two
dozen towns and villages in the northeast, but the military
insists that lost ground can be regained.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s